A warning for energy drinks (Red bull, and similar)!

Link to the article

Teenager, 18, who downed ten Jagerbombs at nightclub two-for-one offer had three heart attacks and DIED before being brought back to life with defibrillator

  • Jayde Dinsdale, 18, was drinking shots on a two-for-one drinks promotion
  • But as alcohol wore off, the high levels of caffeine in her system took control
  • Suffered cardiac arrest and was put in coma as medics battled to save her
  • She is now campaigning to warn of dangers of high caffeine drinks

    PUBLISHED: 10:36 GMT, 6 March 2014 | UPDATED: 12:03 GMT, 6 March 2014

  • A teenager suffered three heart attacks and temporarily ‘died’ on her bathroom floor after she downed ten high-caffeine Jagerbombs on a ‘two-for-one’ promotion night.Jayde Dinsdale, 18, was drinking the Jagermeister spirit and energy drink shooter, which cost £2.20 for two, on a night out with friends, in Yeovil, Somerset.But as the alcohol wore off, the high levels of caffeine in her system took control of her heart rate – causing it to accelerate dangerously out of control, medics have since said.
    Her parents desperately performed CPR on their daughter as she suffered two cardiac arrests at home in their bathroom.

    Miss Dinsdale – who had another heart attack in the following hours – was put into an induced coma and spent three weeks in hospital before medics fitted an internal defibrillator.

    She is now warning other young people to avoid the drinks which combine a shot of spirit Jagermeister and half a can of energy drink.

    One can of energy drink typically contains 80mg of caffeine, around the same as two cans of cola and slightly less than a mug of instant coffee.

    Miss Dinsdale said: ‘I think it is pretty bad that people sell these drinks.

    You’ve no idea how much caffeine is in them and how dangerous they can be.

    ‘I hope people will think twice about drinking energy drinks – they could be deadly.’

    The teenager arrived at the nightclub sober just before midnight on January 31, having just finished work as a party rep.

    She said she thinks she had around ten drinks – each containing half a can of energy drink – before heading home at 2am.

    Eight hours later, Jayde was washing her face while talking to mother Natalie, 38, when she suddenly started shaking and collapsed.

    Mrs Dinsdale said: ‘She was her normal bubbly self and was telling me about the night while in the bathroom.

    ‘Then all of a sudden her chest jolted and she fell to the floor and hit her head on the bath and radiator.

    ‘I put her in the recovery position and stabilised her, but she started having another fit. I screamed for my husband.

    Her pulse was very faint and she started to go purple.

    ‘She was dead on the bathroom floor – it’s a miracle that Jayde is still with us.’

    Father Darryl, 38, performed CPR he learned from the Vinnie Jones British Heart Foundation advert, while Eliesha, 12, held her sister’s head.

    Miss Dinsdale was taken to the intensive care unit at Yeovil District Hospital where she was put in a 52-hour coma to protect her brain and heart after she suffered a third arrest.

    Her body was cooled to just 32 degrees to protect her brain and her family faced an agonising wait to see if she would recover.

    Mrs Dinsdale said: ‘She was covered in tubes. Nothing can prepare you for seeing your child like that.’

    When she came to she was fitted with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) which will shock her heart if it stops again.

    After coming out of intensive care, the relieved teenager gave her dad a medal inscribed with ‘Dad of the year 2014 – for saving my life’.

    Now her family are pleading with others to avoid high-caffeine energy drinks.

    College student Miss Dinsdale, who can’t remember anything of the night or following day, said: ‘The doctors have said it was all to do with the energy drinks.

    ‘Alcohol slows your heart rate but the energy drinks speed it up.

    ‘That’s why I was able to come home and sleep ok, but when the alcohol totally left my system at 10am, my heart stopped.

    ‘I’m quite glad I don’t really remember it all. But now I am looking at how much caffeine is in energy drinks, I just can’t believe they are on sale.’

    Mr Dinsdale, added: ‘This could have happened to anyone. It wasn’t caused by alcohol, it was the amount of caffeine in her body. It’s shocking the amount of caffeine in those drinks.’

    Medics said that while most people can tolerate caffeine in moderation, ‘excessive consumption’ can lead to seizures, strokes or sudden death.

    Consultant emergency physician at Yeovil District Hospital, Dr David Maritz, said: ‘Given the potential for harm as seen from reviews and reports of toxicity in medical literature, it suggests children and young adults, especially those with predisposing medical conditions, are potentially at risk from some serious adverse effects from excessive consumption of energy drinks.’


    High in sugar, cleverly marketed and sold in supermarkets and shops alongside regular soft drinks, it’s easy to see why young people in their masses have taken to energy drinks.

    Last year, a major study found our children have one of the highest consumption rates in Europe.

    One in ten British teenagers consumes four to five energy drinks a week.

    Worryingly, younger children are following suit: one in four under-tens – 24 per cent – has had at least one energy drink in the past year, compared with the European average of 18 per cent. Now, experts are calling for them to be banned from sale to youngsters.

    In a paper last year, Dr Jack James, editor of the Journal of Caffeine Research, says caffeine should be regulated just like cigarettes and alcohol.

    ‘Although caffeine has been widely considered to be benign, awareness is increasing that its consumption is associated with substantial harm, including fatalities and near-fatalities,’ he wrote.

    ‘How many caffeine-related fatalities and near-misses must there be before we regulate?’

    In January month, a government adviser compared energy drinks with drugs, and urged schools to ban them.

    Some schools have done so, with many teachers complaining the drinks affect behaviour and concentration.

    And a 2011 study in America reported on a number of cases where excessive caffeine consumption in energy drinks had been associated with effects such as ‘seizures, mania, stroke and sudden death’.

    The researchers warned that high caffeine drinks were particularly risky for children with existing conditions such as heart arrhythmias, diabetes or mood and behavioural disorders, which may be undiagnosed.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: